Friday, November 4, 2022

The Eyes of the Dragon

 I read a book!

It's been an embarrassingly long time since I last read a book for pleasure. Ages. Eons. 

There are many reasons: busy, tired, Life. Committing to an entire book, especially if I wasn't absolutely certain I would like it, seemed like too much dedication of limited mental resources with unknown return. 

While I was in Oceanside, though, Cherished Friend lent me a book to read: The Eyes of the Dragon (Stephen King). He explained that it was more fairy-tale/fantasy than Stephen King's other works (I do not care much for horror). Trusting in my Friend's judgment, I began reading.

I was hooked from the very beginning.

The book was well-written, easy to read, suspenseful without being uncomfortable. It flowed. The description was captivating, the plot solid, the characters well defined. What a delightful use of language. The hardest part about reading the book was, making sure I read slowly enough to savor every word. 

I continued to read the book on the way home from Oceanside -- it was extremely helpful while trapped in Limbo in a city In Between. Eventually, I got to forty pages remaining. After I returned home, I paused before reading those last forty pages:  I didn't want the book to end, even though I wanted to know very much how the story resolved. 

Finally, though, I read the last pages. And it was an excellent resolution. The story wrapped up in just the right way (neither too-tidy nor questionably-convenient). Excellent. Well done, Stephen King.

In truth, reading the book was a lot like a visit to Oceanside: go slowly and don't rush, savor everything, take the words as they come, enjoy the moments up to and even including the very end -- even if it's sad that it comes to a close. 

I can see reading this book again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment