Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Ride

Herself speaks.

It has been four months since Beloved Husband purchased his motorcycle.  He has enjoyed it tremendously, regularly going for rides hither and yon. He has gone with some buddies from work, and Cherished Friend has joined him on occasion. I am glad that Beloved Husband has had experienced and reliable people with whom to enjoy riding.

A few weeks back, I spent a Saturday cleaning the house while they were out riding. I envied them their freedom. And so, a brief discussion later, Beloved Husband had ordered appropriate riding clothing for me. This past Friday, I made my first non-essential trip into a store, to purchase a helmet. And yesterday, we went for a ride.

Because Beloved Husband is a novice, it would have been extremely imprudent for us to ride together. (Cannot put all the parental eggs in one proverbial basket, even if the Offspring are essentially grown.) Cherished Friend graciously allowed me to sit as passenger on his bike. And off we all went.
-----

Being on a motorcycle is a full-body sensory experience: the sound of the wind, the smell of the grasses and the onion fields and the fried-food establishments, the scenery flashing by, the feel of the road. The wind quieted the noise inside my head. The mountains in the distance reminded me of the drives I have taken to Points North in the desert, where there would be hiking in the mountains and breakfast at IHOP and rummaging in the used book store. Along the ride, the trees were in full leaf, and the crops included all sorts of green sprouts, and there was water in the river. There was an occasional dog barking, and a cat stalking across the road, and another motorcycle passing by. Beloved Husband on the road ahead or in the rear-view mirror behind, and I in the moment where I sat. All I needed to do was stay well seated and go with the flow.

I was a little concerned about sitting so close to Cherished Friend, because I know he has a substantial Personal Space Sphere and I do not like to impinge upon his physical territory. He showed no signs of discomfort, though, and it was a bittersweet pleasure, to be in his close proximity knowing that the Divergence is on the horizon.

It was a SUPERB experience.

I will look back on the ride as a shining point in time, when all was, for the moment, well.


No comments:

Post a Comment