Saturday, April 10, 2021

Hear Me

 Herself speaks.

A thing that seems to be especially important to me lately: being heard. 

I very rarely speak aloud in front of other people, unless I have something to say. I do, like many people, occasionally talk to myself -- but if there's someone else in my physical presence, the vast majority of the time I will specifically be attempting to initiate a conversation/elicit a response/impart information that needs acknowledgement. 

As a result, I am sometimes perplexed when a listener says nothing. I know that there may be an issue of a listener not knowing whether a response is required, or not knowing what to say and therefore saying nothing. I struggle with these because in my procedural manual, if one is not sure or doesn't know, one says so. I don't think I have an issue with silence per se -- just silence when I am expecting not-silence. On the other hand, I know that I do have an issue with feeling that my words are unimportant, or not worthy of response or even of hearing out in full. 

I feel at times that I am an alien living on this planet, still trying to understand the Rules. I suspect that despite over half a century on earth, I nevertheless have not mastered communication. 

One thing that is clear, though: to know that someone takes the time to listen to what I have to say, and show that they have listened, warms my heart, and makes me feel validated.

“Being heard is so close to being loved, that for the average person they are almost indistinguishable.”  — David Augsburger

No comments:

Post a Comment