Sunday, May 30, 2021

Long Lost

 Lord Huron has put out a new album: Long Lost. Hurray for new music! 

I like Lord Huron's music very much. I am having a little bit of trouble, though, enjoying this new album as much as the previous ones. 

One of the ongoing themes of the previous albums has been a Lost Love - love that is eternal, for a person who is lost. In contrast, though, one of the themes of Long Lost is Love That Is Lost -- the person is there, but the love no longer is. That's quite a flip.

One of the tracks on the new album - I Lied - is a particularly harmonious song, but it is hard to listen to, because it contains what I consider to be an inaccuracy. The plot of the song is as follows (spoiler alert): a man confesses that he promised to love a woman until death and beyond, but he "lied" and is leaving her. In return, the woman professes her relief at his confession, because she too "lied" about forever loving him. However, a "lie" is a deliberate, conscious untruth -- and yet in so very many of Lord Huron's previous songs, eternal love is always professed, strong, deliberate and constant.  None of it sounded like a "lie" before. So why is this a lie here? Isn't it just a change of circumstances? 

So instead of that song, I'll listen to What do it mean? instead. It sits better.

  • All of the joy I've known,
  • the ways I've grown,
  • the loves I've shown my heart to
  • I'm gonna get it together and live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment