Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Falling Man

Herself speaks.

Every year since 2001, on September 11, I think of The Falling Man.

You have seen the photograph: the man, head down, one knee bent, like an arrow in front of the twin towers. Inexorably speeding toward oblivion.

Esquire eloquently tells his tale, herehttps://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a48031/the-falling-man-tom-junod/

I think of him, and the unthinkable, necessary decision to jump. And then I think of the others who also made that unthinkable, necessary, decision..

I think of the bystander and her anguished cry: "God! Save their souls! They're jumping! Oh, please God! Save their souls!"

The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of destruction assailed me; 
The cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me.
In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.
(Psalm 18:4-6) 

We will carry the memory of these people with us, individually and in our collective conscious, until the end of time. 

For Whoever will call on the name of the LORD will be saved. - Romans 10:13

1 comment:

  1. I flew in two planes this year for 9/11... so I resisted thinking and remembering. But I am ok doing that today, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete