Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Volunteer

 Herself speaks.

We are at that point once more when I realize that I really, really need to cultivate some low-stakes, local acquaintances for friendly interactions. (I was going to say at first that I really, really need to find some local friends, but the word friend connotes much more than, and different from, what I need at the moment.) I am at a loss as to how to find these people, especially during late-stage Pandemic. 

I had thought about volunteering at the wildlife rescue organization, but that may be more of an emotional/time commitment than I have the mental space for right now. And every time I think about perhaps starting to go back to church again, I think about how much I loathe the Establishment of my chosen religion, about the Bad Parts and the Bad People of the church, and know that is the wrong outlet.

 Part of me wishes a tiny bit that I could find an environment like the early days of the taekwondo gym -- a group of friendly, cheerful people with whom to participate in an activity. I am not physically capable of taekwondo any longer, though; furthermore, the late days of the gym shed light on the ugly little bits of interpersonal relationships, and I do not want to be a party to something similar ever again. 

My Project that I undertake periodically sometimes serves to satisfy the need to human interaction. It was a Disappointment this iteration, however. And it is over for now, which means I must look elsewhere.

Perhaps a different, low-impact martial art would be worthwhile? 

Or perhaps, I could contact the mobile science organization of my city, and see whether I might be able to volunteer for something somewhere on occasion?

Some ideas. 

I just have to get past the frustration of knowing that I cannot have the things I want, so that I can start to search for the things I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment