Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Leaked Opinion

 Serious adult topic today. 

A draft opinion of the Supreme Court was leaked: overturning Roe v. Wade.

Ye gods.

-----

We saw this day on the horizon, there is no doubt. Ever-increasing restrictions, laws contrary to precedent, all designed to push to edges of what is permissible until ultimately, choices are no longer options at all. And here we are now.

Mine is the only generation I know, to have full reproductive freedom. My mother before me -- no. My children after me -- no. 

I don't really have words for how I feel.

------

Beloved Husband is capable of talking about the legalities of precedent, of the cases, of social action and social revolution and reluctant heroes of the next generation who must save us from ourselves. I'm not at that point yet. Because all I can feel, is the pit of fear in hundreds and thousands of stomachs as people wonder, am I late? And the nausea of not knowing: is the nausea just the fear, or something more?

-----

The ability to have control over when and whether to have children is fundamental to the wellbeing of every person of childbearing age. And, I would argue, to the wellbeing of society itself. We are now on the precipice of dangerous times, of desperate, back-alley action, of all-too-imaginable, preventable harm. 

I'm not here to debate why people have abortions - the reasons are as complex and multifaceted as people themselves. Nor am I here to debate when life begins; opinions on that are as varied as people too.

Know, though, that I am here to hold your hand. And hear your pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment