Thursday, March 31, 2022

Sitting

 Herself speaks.

TikTok, home of much Baloney (like so many other social media platforms), is also home to much entertaining and, more importantly, useful information. Concepts to contemplate. Words of wisdom. 

One TikTok creator I follow posted a video which included the following advice:

Take a moment to experiment with not trying to get needs met. Take a few breaths and be a needy person, have unmet needs, and not try to be OK.

That's quite the challenge.

-----

I do not consider myself to be a particularly needy person, in part because I make a concerted effort to Not Need Much. I am very aware of the Things that I do need, because they are mostly things that I need -- or want -- from other people. And because I am also very aware that needing (or wanting) things from other people, is not a fruitful need (or want). 

People do the best they can. And sometimes, the best that people can do, does not include being able to do the things that I would like them to do. That's not on them, though -- that's on me, because it is I who harbors a want/desire/need for something that cannot be provided.

So the lesson for today (and every day) is to learn to sit with an unmet desire, an unfulfilled need, a want that cannot be resolved. These things exist. And that's OK. And it's OK, to acknowledge these things, and not to be OK for a little bit. 

And then I pick myself up by my bootstraps, work on being more grateful for all that I do have (for truthfully, I have so much), and move forward once more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment