Monday, March 21, 2022

Back to BI-RADS 2

 Herself speaks. Body issues today. You have been warned!

After the BI-RADS 3 breast ultrasound of last fall, I dutifully went in for a follow-up ultrasound (four months later as recommended by my doctor, rather than the six months recommended by the radiologist). At the beginning, there was a "don't-think-about-it-and-it-won't-be-awkward" moment of having a male technologist (with dutiful female chaperone); the technologist was professional, quick, and thorough, though, and probably is accustomed to and unimpressed by seeing the breasts of multiple strangers in one day, so the momentary horror was no doubt on my side alone. I pretended not to be embarrassed. And I got through.

The good news is, everything is back to BI-RADS2. Whatever that questionable item found last time was, it wasn't visible this time. Back to your lives, citizens. Nothing to see here. Nothing more to do than to have a usual annual mammogram. 

Phew.

-----

I have reached the point of middle-age where I feel very much invisible as a woman, where body parts like breasts are just one more system that has potential to be problematic medically. Every now and then I do miss feeling desirable, though. I wonder whether that need -- to feel desirable -- ever really goes away. 

Not yet, apparently.

1 comment:

  1. glad the questionable item has disappeared... and I feel you on the desirability in middle age...

    ReplyDelete