Thursday, August 5, 2021

TikTok Wisdom

I was idly roaming through TikTok while waiting for something today, and came across this video. I'll post it in its entirety below, but in case it is removed, the Creator is @catieosaurus, and the relevant text goes like this:

If you love somebody with ADHD or another neurodivergency and you often have trouble communicating, I have a pro tip for you. It's going to sound silly, but hear me out. Establish a secret code word or gesture, or both, for the following three things: 

number one: I have an immediate thought in my head and I need to say it as soon as you are done talking.

number two: I'm overwhelmed or overstimulated and I need assistance with that in some way.

number three: I am paralyzed by indecision and I really need you to make a choice on this.

The Creator goes on to explain why these things are helpful and nice. 

I had to pause, though, after she pointed out number two: number two: I'm overwhelmed or overstimulated and I need assistance with that in some way.

That's a thing!?

One of the reasons I've suspected that I fall on the autism spectrum somewhere, is that I am aware of occasional situations when I feel overwhelmed or overstimulated. Since I'm an adult, I do what I imagine all adults do in such overwhelming/overstimulating situations: we suck it up and do what must be done and then cry/process/ruminate in the privacy of our cars or at home by ourselves later. Isn't that what everyone does?  

But now I'm to understand that... it's possible to ask for help in those situations? And that someone might actually help? In the moment? Help with processing/managing emotions? People help other people do this? Right then? Without question or criticism? Just... help? 

Why does this blow me away? 

Perhaps I can do this for myself - establish my own private gesture for when I am overwhelmed or overstimulated. If I can recognize it in the moment, that will be my first step in being able to acknowledge it, step back and help myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment