Saturday, August 7, 2021

A Few Words

 Herself speaks.

I don't write about the Offspring much, because they are young adults and entitled to their privacy. I wanted to take a moment, though, to say a few words about the two Offspring who are currently under the roof, since they will be moving forward to other places soon (whether it be in a week, or a month or two),  and I am feeling a bit wistful.

-----

Last night when I went upstairs to bed, Offspring the Third went upstairs at the same time. He paused as he walked by my door and said, "the hinge pin is coming out." Sure enough, it was. He turned around, disappeared back downstairs, and returned with a mallet. Tap, tap, tap. "There, all set." He tapped the other two hinge pins on the door for good measure while he was at it. Then he explained the mallet to me, how it was apparently filled with little lead pieces so that there was no bounce-back or damage to the surface. I learned something new. And then he bade me goodnight.

It is these interactions that I will miss the most when he goes back to school. He is helpful, and takes care of things that he sees need doing without my even asking (and before I even notice they need doing). He explains things in a way that is interesting and informative. It's just delightful. What a good egg he is. 

-----

This afternoon I was chatting with Offspring the Second. He's making Plans, and it's clear that he's being very thorough and thoughtful about his planning processes. He thinks of things I wouldn't have considered, and it's so helpful to hear his point of view and to look at the way things are done from another angle. He is so patient, and has been so diligently working toward his goals, despite the Pandemic being an absolute Horror Show in so many ways. 

He is so kind to the bunny trio, and so patient with the noise and the clutter of other people in the household. I try to be like him, he's a shining example of perseverance and good humor and thoughtfulness. What a good egg he is.  

-----

I know I'm biased because I am their mother, but I think that my Offspring are all genuinely lovely people. I hope they find every happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment