Saturday, October 10, 2020

BFF

 Herself speaks.

Four months in, Cherished Friend has begun to put down roots Oceanside: he has a new Abode. I'm happy for him. The next step is to ship his household possessions, which have been in storage here in this desert land, out to him. As Keeper of the Storage Key, I have gone to the storage units to meet with potential movers so that they can assess the situation and provide estimates. 

The potential movers have all been congenial people; it was a little odd to make small talk with strangers after months and months of Pandemic Social Distancing, but not unpleasant. Two of them asked about my role in the situation (a reasonable and not unexpected question, given that Cherished Friend is Afar, and I am Near, and we do not share a phone number or last name). 

One, more generally:  Are you related to him?

Another, more specifically: Is he your....(pause, hoping I'd fill in a word).... boyfriend?

I told them both: "He's my BFF."  It seemed the simplest answer.

-----

I know it was a nearly throw-away question; no one was particularly interested in an actual meaningful answer. Even in casual conversation, though, I did not want to minimize. "A friend" would have been insufficient. "Just a friend" would have downplayed the importance of Cherished Friend for me.  I suppose that people with a large and well-connected social group would find "friend" to be enough of a descriptor. When there are very few people in one's close circle, though, friend takes on a larger and more significant meaning. 

Retrospectively, the question was unexpectedly upsetting. Perhaps I have not yet come to terms with the fact that Cherished Friend is so far away; with his possessions still in this desert land, his transplant to Oceanside has not yet seemed real. His full establishment of his Abode, complete with all of his possessions, will make things much more Absolute.  

I am glad for him, that he is close to the ocean, and near boats and sailing and Dreams to come true. I am still bereft for myself, though. Facebook flashback reminds me on nearly a daily basis of the places we have visited and the adventures we have had, together as well as with Beloved Husband and even occasionally with various Offspring as well. I do not know when any of us here in this desert land will be able to enjoy his excellent company similarly again. And the Pandemic is a cruel presence, denying me even thoughts of what it might be like to visit Oceanside -- for if I do not know when it will ever be possible, how can I imagine it coming to pass? 

I'll get past this moment. He has moved, this is true, but he has not dropped off the face of the earth. He is still within reach, by phone, by mail, by internet call. I'm grateful for that. 

Stay well, my Cherished Friend. There are still more adventures to be had. In time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment