Wednesday, October 2, 2019

One of My Biggest Pet Peeves

Herself speaks.

One recent afternoon, as I waited in line at the pet store to purchase food for the small dogs, I overheard a man with his tiny young daughter behind me. They had a Betta fish, a fishbowl and assorted fishy accoutrements with them. Their conversation went something like this:

Dad: What do you say to Daddy?
Child: [confused silence]
Dad: I'm getting you a fish, what do you say? You say, Thank you!
Child [promptly]: Thank you!
Dad: Now give me a hug.
Child: [reluctant]
Dad: I want a hug! I'm getting you a fish!
Child: [apparently hugs Daddy]
Dad: That's right. That is how you say thank you.

Oh, dear. So much no.

By all means, remind her that people appreciate the words "thank you" when they do something kind for you. But let's not teach our tiny daughter that the proper way to thank someone is by physical contact, especially when she is disinclined to participate in that physical contact. Is that what you would want for her in ten (or fewer) years when she is dating?

I think not.

We don't ever owe anyone physical contact. Even when they do something nice for us, like get us a pet, or buy us dinner, or take us to do something mutually enjoyable. Even if we are related to them.

Just no.

No comments:

Post a Comment