Thursday, July 13, 2023

Not For You

I recently had to provide a photo of myself for a volunteer directory. The Horror. We all know how I feel about photos of myself.

I know what I look like. I'm middle aged and middle of the road on a good day, if I've made an effort. I do not meet conventional attractiveness standards by any stretch of the imagination. I'm chunky, prone to looking like a somewhat manic chipmunk, lacking in luxurious hair/fingernails/eyelashes or any of the standard hallmarks of feminine beauty. I don't turn heads. I'm invisible at this age and appearance. And I've mostly come to terms with this. 

I keep myself tidy and make an effort to be presentable, but otherwise I don't think about my appearance much, and I carefully avoid mirrors to avoid too many reminders of my shortcomings.  Yet occasionally I must participate in a group photo or (grimace) a solo photo, and there is everything I lack, all fixed in a picture, for all time, for everyone to see. Ugh. 

As I took approximately 800,000 selfies to try to find one that I didn't openly dislike, I came to a realization, though: 

the pictures aren't for me.

They're for people who will need to identify me -- to put a face to a name in a crowd. Do they need to speak with the person in charge of X or Y? Oh, there she is, her face was in the directory under X or Y. 

And the same goes for other photos that I happen to be in -- such as the pictures from the recent reunions. They're not (just) for me, they're for the other people there. Oh, I remember the people who were there with me, I had such a good time talking with that person, or I need to get the information about that thing from that other person. 

So I need to remind myself, when I am subjected to a photo-taking exercise: when we see pictures of our friends/relatives/people we know, we don't criticize the pictures. Rather, we think, Oh, there's that person I know. I hope they're doing well. They look happy. Or there's that person, I would like to talk with them. Or That looks really interesting/fun, what they're doing. Or I sure would like to get together with them again soon. And what a great experience, that we all had together. I'm sure glad we could capture that one moment together on film, to remind me of it later. 

Pictures are for other people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment