Saturday, July 8, 2023

Be Well

I'd been looking forward to the Orville Peck concert next month, but it is not to be: he's cancelled his tour. 

I'm disappointed, no doubt. Getting those tickets was one of the few things I've done specifically for myself in the past few months -- a reward, of sorts, for having powered through the worst parts of the initial loss of my lovely father (I ordered the tickets the day they went on sale, which was the day before Daddy's memorial service itself). I even purchased a new dress to wear for the occasion. Alas. 

My feelings are unimportant right now, though: it's much more important that Orville Peck take the time he needs to take care of himself. 

It must be exhausting to be in the public eye all the time. Performing and traveling. The expectations of the public and the fans; the need to be constantly "on"; the press, the tabloids, everything. The wear and tear is no doubt tremendous. Kudos to him for recognizing that it was time to pause and breathe. As I struggle with my own quiet and invisible, personal version of burnout, I feel tremendous empathy for him. 

Be well, Orville. I hope that someday, when you feel ready to go back onstage, I'll get to see you perform again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment