Monday, July 3, 2023

Better

 The temptation to self-isolate when feeling out-of-sorts is Very Strong Indeed.  To want to turn away from the People who would otherwise bring comfort, to somehow reject in advance the solace that might be found -- why? Is it some kind of preemptive strike, to abandon oneself first before someone else abandons one in a time of need? Is it a self-preservation mechanism, like a wild animal who hides its wounds lest it appear vulnerable? Or is it just simply people-fatigue: the knowledge that interacting with others may be too exhausting at the moment? 

Against my feelings of better judgement, I chose to follow through with a Zoom call this evening, even though I was very much out-of-sorts for Reasons both varied and mostly mundane. Mercifully, however, it was the right thing to do -- because my Zoom companion was one of my favorite People; someone whose company is always soothing, whose conversation is thought-provoking and interesting, whose presence I miss if it has been too long since we have spoken. And I enjoyed the Zoom call, and felt better afterward. I'm so grateful for that Zoom time, and for my Friend. 

Sometimes, we have to put faith in one of our People, and leave the door open to the possibility that they will be there for us and will be good for us, even when we are struggling. I would do well to remember that. 

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ― Albert Schweitzer


No comments:

Post a Comment