Sunday, June 4, 2023

Unexpected Echo

 One funny little detail that both Beloved Husband and I noticed during reunions: after we'd spent some time chatting with one of our old classmates (with whom I was quite close back in the day), Beloved Husband and I turned to one another and simultaneously concluded that the classmate (let's call him College Friend) reminded us both of Cherished Friend. It is hard to explain how, exactly -- but there is a definitive resemblance, a kind of deep-within similarity. It's more than their common characteristics of significant intelligence and an ability to express themselves well in words. Was it mannerisms? Sense of humor? Whatever it was, there is no doubt that there was a strange little echo across space-time between College Friend and Cherished Friend.

The end result of this odd little recognition was twofold: one, it made me miss Cherished Friend even more than usual; and two, it made me think that someday, if it is at all possible, I would like very much to find a way to introduce College Friend and Cherished Friend. I do think that they would enjoy one another's company. I try to imagine a conversation among College Friend, Cherished Friend, and Beloved Husband, and the very idea is beyond delightful. I would just watch, and listen, and be happy. 

Patterns everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment