Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Indecent

I am not even really sure how to write accurately about the follow-up appointment I had today. The good news is, my eyeballs are fine, and the spontaneous hemorrhages in my retinas appear to have resolved themselves. That's great, and I'm glad. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

The perplexing part, was that the doctor wouldn't actually examine my eyeballs -- and, in fact, wouldn't even remain in the room (only briefly greeting me and then promptly leaving) -- until my knees had been covered. 

You heard correctly. My business casual dress was ever so slightly above the knee, and that problem had to be rectified.

After the doctor scurried out of the room, I looked questioningly at the scribe, who  told me the doctor was just "trying to be respectful". That embarrassed me further, as if I was somehow INDECENT by having my knees showing. The scribe then left too.

His assistant disappeared as well, and returned a few minutes later. She gave me a paper square sheet as one typically finds in a doctor's office, and she and I tucked it carefully around my knees, before she went to re-fetch the doctor. 

There are explanations for the whole very strange interaction, I am sure. I don't feel like re-hashing potential explanations for an intelligent man's attempt to literally create what he clearly thought was some kind of thoughtful personal-space boundary. I honestly don't think he intended any actual harm in any way. He thought he was doing the right thing. 

Nevertheless, the whole thing was an affront, and mortifying. And I might need to find a new doctor. Because I clearly made him uncomfortable. And he, however well-intentioned, clearly made me uncomfortable. 

Oy. 

(For the record, this was my outfit. Photo taken shortly after my appointment, in the office.The dress covers my cleavage, has wide sleeves, and is not form fitting either in the arms, the waist, or the hips. The only immodest part is, as best I can tell, its length.)

KNEES.


No comments:

Post a Comment