Saturday, October 15, 2022

Frustrations

Yesterday, I spent a solid forty-five minutes standing in line at the pharmacy.  I was picking up a routine prescription for a member of my household, and that member spent eons waiting in line for me to pick up a prescription after my recent surgery, so I was happily returning the favor. I also wanted to ask about one of my own routine prescriptions, to see if it was ready since it has been on backorder for over a week.  

You can guess what happened: after the wait, I left with neither prescription. 

The first prescription had been sent to a different branch of the same chain, and the computer didn't even indicate whether it was in fact ready, so I opted to transfer that prescription to the branch where I stood since it is closest to our house. Frustrating, but not a problem. Can pick it up the following day (and hopefully the line will be shorter).  The second prescription.... well, the supplier didn't have any, there is no date in the computer indicating when it would be available, so basically, without any notice from the pharmacy, I was just plain out of luck for that one. The task now becomes: call around to find another pharmacy in a different chain, to see 1) if they take my insurance and 2) if so, if they have the medication. My favorite -- making phone calls. It's thyroid medication, For F*ck's Sake, not anything weird. 

That was my final thought on the matter. Resolving to be patient and try again the next day, I valiantly maintained my equanimity and went home. Where, at least, I knew that a package of assorted things I'd ordered would be waiting for me.

Except the package was not there. 

I checked. And checked again. And checked the mailbox twice, even though the delivery info said UPS and left on porch.

Nope.

The package contained a carefully curated set of items I'd ordered over several days last week: a piece of camping equipment for Beloved Husband; some all-natural dye-free vitamins for Offspring the Third; several items that collectively would serve as a fifth birthday present for a relative; some extra COVID tests because they are hard to find locally and we used up all of ours when we had Plague recently; a book I was planning on taking with me on an upcoming trip; and treats for the rabbits.  All kinds of good things. 

Nowhere.

That was the end of my patience and ability to remain composed in the face of frustration.  For the rest of the evening I sat on the couch, ate junk, and watched stupid things on television until I could muster the energy to go to bed. 

-----

I have to wait 24 hours before I can even report the box missing, so at the moment I am immobilized by annoyance. Did someone take it? Was it misdelivered and a neighbor has it? WHERE DID IT GO?

The doorbell rang 20 minutes ago. Could it be such a neighbor kindly delivering a misdirected package? No, it was two people with campaign literature. For the party for which I historically have never voted for. CRIPES. 

Can I hope that this comedy of errors of yesterday means that things are likely to be better today? Or is it a sign that things are just going to be inconvenient and slightly shitty for a while? I don't know. I'm afraid to find out. I might feel all Done, even though the day hasn't even started yet. 

Let's see if I can salvage the day somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment