Sunday, October 10, 2021

Bond

 Warning: spoiler about the new James Bond movie. You have been warned!

Herself speaks.

On Friday, Beloved Husband and I went to a showing of the latest James Bond film, No Time To Die. It was a reserved-theater event with some colleagues (a nice group of people), which made the social event more tolerable than being in a room full of strangers. Despite the sign on the door of the theater stating that masks were required, there were not many masks. I have to come to terms with the fact that mine might be one of the few masks in any given situation, because I know that my social distancing level/need for masks is higher than that of most people, including Beloved Husband -- but that's a "me" problem. Is it a problem? My brain hurts trying to figure out the social requirements of late-stage Pandemic.

The movie was good, and very typical James Bond fare, with fancy cars and dressed-up parties and chases and fight scenes and whatnot. Daniel Craig is my favorite actor to play Bond: he seems to add an emotional depth to the character. Which is why, even though I could see the end coming from a long way off, it was... distressing. There was no other way to handle the end, the way the plot had been set up; but still. 

I left the theater feeling sad -- as if someone I cared about had moved out, and I had closed the door on their room, knowing it was now empty.  I was not ready for that feeling. With all the losses and changes over the past year and a half or so, it's a little close to home. 

Well done, Daniel Craig, and thank you for your time as James Bond. 

Photo found here
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/no-time-to-die-ending-explained/


No comments:

Post a Comment