Monday, July 26, 2021

Explain Thyself

 Herself speaks.

Sometimes I feel like I spend a lot of time trying to explain myself. 

A lot of the time, it is explaining myself to myself: what emotion was I experiencing just then? And why? Was there a previous historical event that is coloring/influencing how was feeling and if so, what? What would I like (would have liked) in this moment? What would (have been) helpful? 

Do other people do this in the moment? In retrospect? It's exhausting. 

On occasion I try to explain myself to other people, in particular, Beloved Husband or Cherished Friend. It seems important to me sometimes that they understand what is happening inside my head -- I want them to know. Sometimes I worry that they don't actually want to know, or that it's too much information, or that it's just plain weird to use so many words to describe an internal state of mind. 

What is this need to explain?

Perhaps it is a longing to be understood. 

“To understand and be understood is to be at peace.” ― Kamand Kojouri


Photo Copyright 2020, 2021, Mediocria Firma.
All rights reserved. Used with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment