Sunday, June 27, 2021

The Clock App

 Herself speaks.

Confession: I have a TikTok account. 

I don't create content, for many reasons, including: 1) I'm not that creative; 2) I mostly prefer the written word to oral/visual communication; 3) I do not want to put myself out into the Internet Realm any more than I am already through this blog. 

Nevertheless, I really enjoy a lot of TikTok content. Thanks to the algorithm, My "For You Page" (FYP) has evolved into a collection of wholesome content-makers: nature and science lovers; body positivity supporters; LGBTQIA+ individuals; autistic advocates; animal devotees; quirky people showing their unusual hobbies and creations; odd ducks, just being themselves. It's delightful. 

I don't usually read comment sections on the internet, because if we have learned anything from the exponential growth of the world wide web, it's DON'T READ THE COMMENTS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE CRUEL. Comment sections are where trolls and petty cruel persons emerge just long enough to be cruel to strangers, to mock them and spit hurtful words and then disappear once more into the anonymity of the web. 

However: when I occasionally dive in to TikTok comment sections, it is always a pleasant surprise to see a multitude of enthusiastic, validating, and heartwarming comments on so many videos. What a wonderful sense of community is created -- bridging gaps of time and age and distance, creating webs of kindness and support. In this age of Pandemic and Disillusionment, it's a breath of fresh air. 

And because of that, I sometimes add my two cents of support and thanks to the comment sections as well. For that brief moment, I am adding my own molecule of positivity to the world. That's a nice feeling. And the world could use a little bit more positivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment