Saturday, November 21, 2020

Comfort Zone

In every person's life, there are moments when it is necessary to step outside of the comfort zone. Many times, those steps yield a greater good -- though not without personal cost. 

There are two ways to aid a person who is standing on the edge of the comfort zone:

1. Push them out. 

Just do it.  

You have to do it. 

It's for your own good. 

2. Encourage them to take the step themselves. 

I know it's scary. 

I'm here for you.

I believe in you. 

The first one is a kind of "tough love" stance. (I use the definition of "tough love" provided by the Cambridge dictionarythe fact of deliberately not showing too much kindness to a person who has a problem so that the person will start to solve their own problem.) That may work for some people. When faced with hardship or difficulty, however, sometimes a lack of kindness is the opposite of what is needed.

In my view, it's easier for someone to take a step outside the comfort zone, knowing that there is support. 

I will always choose to be the support person. I'm here for you.

What kind of person are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment