Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Belongings

 I've tidying up a few loose ends from the packing-up-and-shipping-out of Cherished Friend's possessions. There were a couple of boxes of miscellany that needed to be taken home for repacking instead of going as-is onto the moving truck, and so I have been sorting those and storing or repacking items as necessary. (Poor Cherished Friend, being subjected to approximately 800,000 texts -- with photos! -- to ask about various things. He has been tremendously patient.) A few things will stay here, and others will go to his Oceanside. 

It brings me a little bit of comfort, to have a couple of his possessions still here. 

-----

When I was young (and rather slovenly, apparently), my mother would eventually tire of the disarray of my room, and when I was out of the house at school or in the yard, she would gather every single item that was not properly put away and put them into a pile in the middle of the floor. I still remember the shock of seeing that pile, and my constricted feelings as I picked up each item from the pile in turn and put it where it was supposed to go. It was no doubt an effective strategy, however, as it didn't happen often -- I must have managed to keep things tidier after The Pile appeared. 

As you may imagine, even as an adult, I don't particularly like other people rearranging my possessions. 

-----

I feel quite strongly that a person's possessions -- embodiments of that person's history and selfhood -- must be treated with respect and care. I bear this in mind whenever I handle someone else's things. I have done so for Offspring the First when she moved out of the house, and for Offspring the Third when he has needed help with maintaining a solid level of tidiness; and also to a lesser extent for Offspring the Second and Beloved Husband when need has arisen. I wanted to make sure to do so for Cherished Friend as well. Hopefully, he will feel safe in the knowledge that I tended his things as best I could. Moving is mentally exhausting, and knowing that one's belongings have been treated with care can ease the strain. 

It's the best I can do from afar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment