Saturday, March 28, 2020

Hole

Herself speaks.

There's a hole in the back yard, in the area of pea gravel where the swingset used to be once upon a time. Some kind of squirrel lives there; I've seen a tail disappearing into it. I haven't seen the squirrel out in the yard, though. Perhaps it keeps different hours than I do.

With the "Stay Home, Work Safe" order in place here, it's hard to escape. I love the people in my house tremendously -- and yet I desperately miss my time Alone. I want to cook when I feel like it, without having to wait for other people to move out of the way in the kitchen, while listening to my music or my Harry Potter audiobooks without interruption. How I took for granted that simple pleasure. I'll bear that in mind when things return to whatever the New Normal will be, in weeks or months from now.

I wish I could just disappear into a hole, like the squirrel, and have a bit of peace in the dark and the cool underground. How lovely that would be. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I don't mind this stay safe at home at all... just miss sending my parents to church in the morning for a few hours of alone time. Even if I was just working while they were gone... long walks when I can fit them in with my book going in my ears is my only refuge right now!

    ReplyDelete