Sunday, November 17, 2019

Not Heavy, Just Awkward

Herself speaks.

As I mentioned before, Cherished Friend may be relocating soon. This weekend, I worked with him to consolidate his possessions in his storage unit, as a preface to his moving Elsewhere. The effort went well, especially given the still-present uncertainty as to the timing or location of Elsewhere. We packed boxes and bags and sundries (none heavy, just occasionally awkward to carry). We drove across this desert land from there to here, and we rearranged the things in the storage unit, and all went surprisingly smoothly. Packing and moving are always hard, and perhaps even more so for an independent and reserved person like Cherished Friend. He nonetheless handled everything with good humor and with patience for the process.

I know that I generally don't like having people in my personal space, especially touching or rearranging my possessions. (There are Reasons.) I don't know whether Cherished Friend has a similar visceral dislike of such things, but since I was well aware of what would be my own discomfort in a similar situation, I did my best to be simultaneously as helpful and as unobtrusive as possible. He was gracious about my presence and efforts to help. He is on his way back to his current corner of the desert now, having left a handful of things in my house for temporary safekeeping. (It brings a kernel of joy to my heart to have them here.) We shall see what the next steps will be.

As hard as it is to continue to help prepare him to move Elsewhere -- which in his ideal plan will be far from this corner of the desert where I live -- it was nevertheless an enjoyable weekend. It was a privilege to have a glimpse into the World of his work and his residence. It was a pleasure to listen to him chat with Beloved Husband, even when the conversation turned to politics or economics or other topics to which I can contribute little. His presence is always enjoyable, and both reassuring and comforting. And I always feel Heard when we talk.

Lucky am I, to know my Cherished Friend.

Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.
And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.
When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the "nay" in your own mind, nor do you withhold the "ay."
And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.
When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.
-- Kahlil Gibran, On Friendship, The Prophet

Picture copyright 2019, Mediocria Firma.
All rights reserved. Used with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment