Friday, November 1, 2019

Fly Away

Herself speaks.

Yesterday evening at the gathering following Offspring the First's courthouse marriage to her beloved, every single person whom I met, when they learned that I am Offspring the First's mother, exclaimed what a lovely person she is: her friends, her coworkers, her new in-laws, each of them in turn extolling her virtues, speaking about her with such kindness on their faces and such warmth in their voices. Such joy.

One of her friends showed me some photographs from earlier in the evening, when Offspring the First was getting ready: in her hotel room, Offspring the First in her bathrobe drying her hair, the dress hanging ready for her.  Such ordinary-extraordinary pictures. And my heart cracked a little bit. She is so radiant, so beautiful, so full of life and happiness. So loved.

Offspring the First's world is moving away from mine, faster and faster. I am but a tiny part of her life now, and my role is ever smaller. Though I know this is how it should be -- our ultimate goal as mothers is to make ourselves unnecessary as we launch our offspring into the world -- it still pains me. So bittersweet. I hope that she is always surrounded by such grace and love.

Fly, my beautiful child. I wish for you all good things, always.

.

1 comment: