Monday, November 11, 2019

Horizon

Herself speaks.

There may be change on the horizon.

There is a possibility that Cherished Friend may be relocating soon. The exact location is not yet clear -- it may be Far Away, or Very Far Away. Or even Someplace Else entirely. We don't know where or when, and we don't know the level of danger of some of the possibilities. All is in limbo, and limbo is a tricky place to be. It is hard to be patient, even when patience is the only option.

I know I would like very much if Cherished Friend lived near me; however, I know that particular sentiment belongs to me and speaks to what I want. It has nothing to do with what he himself wants. He needs to do what is right for him and to find where his own path leads, even if it leads far away from this desert land. 

In my middle age, I have uncovered and acknowledged a Truth that cannot be denied: we cannot impose what we want, or what we think ought to be, on anyone else's life. Not on spouses, not on children, not on parents or siblings, not on friends. The people we love must do what they must do. And if we truly love them, what we should want most for them is simple:

We want for them to be as safe as possible. To find their purpose, in work and in life. To have contentment. And ideally, for them to be happy.  

It is up to us to help them find their way, to provide safe shelter when they need a respite, and to reassure them that they are loved, always, no matter what horizon they see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment