Friday, July 12, 2019

Hurricane

To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.”  ― Maya Angelou

My mother is not a hurricane, exactly: she is a careful, purposeful, intense yet controlled force. She is intelligent, well-read and well-traveled; and she is abundantly charming, especially to strangers. I have inherited from her a love of fancy words used perhaps excessively in ordinary conversation. She is, above all, extremely proper. She is also intensely private, and so I do not write about her often. I'll make this brief exception today. 

She had a medical issue a few weeks back which would normally be fairly easily addressed. Unfortunately she had an unusual complication, which led to a week-long stint in the hospital, followed by a very slow recovery at home, and discovery of a complication-of-the-complication yesterday which will mean another week in the hospital. None of it appears life-threatening; she is, however, not a young woman, and medical issues are more difficult with age. 

When I moved to this desert land some 22 years ago, I did not think about what would happen in the  case of such events. It is hard to watch from a distance. I have already made plans to travel the 2,000 miles to visit in a few weeks, but do not know whether I should visit earlier or hold tight to the current plans. I do not know what to do. I do not know what to say.  

Uncertainty is my foe. I always like to know what to expect.  

I have always though of my mother as eternal, never-changing, always there, like the weather. I cannot imagine otherwise. 

Get well soon, Mom. 

4 comments:

  1. I love what you said about your mother, and am thinking good thoughts for you both. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holding good thoughts for your mom and your trip. Uncertainty is truly challenging.

    ReplyDelete