Friday, July 5, 2019

Dachshund Delight

When I was growing up, our family dachshund had an abundance of tailored little coats, courtesy of my maternal grandmother, who was an excellent seamstress. She made the coats with love, and he wore them with delight. They protected him from the New England winters. And he looked very dapper.


If you look closely at the photo, you can see a yellowish plush critter with a red nose to the left. I made this mouse in seventh grade in home economics class. My skills did not remotely resemble those of my grandmother -- that critter was rather unimpressive. I was nevertheless pleased with the end result, because it was so very fuzzy. 

I still have the mouse, some three decades later. It is a bit squashed and dusty, and the ears have needed new felt sewn underneath. The beloved dachshund passed long ago. He was an Excellent Dog. And very well dressed, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment