Saturday, September 12, 2015

Silence

The next word I have chosen from Consolations, by David Whyte: Silence.

Silence is frightening, an intimation of the end, the graveyard of fixed identities.  Real silence puts any present understanding to shame; orphans us from certainty; leads us beyond the well-known and accepted reality and confronts us with the unknown and previously unacceptable conversation about to break in upon our lives.  

When I was a tiny little girl, I had a fever nightmare. I dreamt that I was in a dark void. The void was not crowded, nor was it vast; it was a nothingness in which I was strangely comfortable. But then I heard a shout. The shout was not a sound that came through my ears, but rather a visceral sensation that resonated throughout my inchoate body. I did not know where the shout came from, nor did I understand its single syllable word. The shout was Silence itself, and yet was Not-Silence, and it repeated at intervals, growing ominously louder and yet more silent simultaneously, until finally I awoke into consciousness, sweating, heart pounding. I threw myself out of bed and ran down the hall towards the light of my father's study, with the incomprehensible Silent Not-Silence echoing in my brain. I could not tell my father what was so terribly wrong. I had no words. He turned from his desk and gently picked me up.

That is all I remember.
-----

Forty-five years later, I am still occasionally terrified of Silence.

Literal Silence is surprisingly hard to come across. Even in the wee hours, there are still crickets, night birds, the rumble of a distant truck. Even on a quiet afternoon, there is the hum of the washing machine, the buzz of a cicada. Silence instead comes in different forms: a phone call not returned. An e-mail or a text sent out into the ether, generating no reply. A plea unheard, a conversation stalled or dismissed, a glance not shared. A whisper that falls into the cracks of the world. A question left hanging.  An unanswered prayer.

These Silences are the hardest.

I can always think of 100 different, perfectly normal reasons, for such Silences. And yet, there is always one terrible reason, a reason that makes my blood run cold, that lurks in the background, waiting, exuding Silence and Not-Silence until I want to run.

I am a grownup. There is no where to run any more.

Have mercy, Silent Not-Silence, for I am still small, and needy.

Picture copyright 2015, Mediocria Firma. Used with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment