Thursday, June 18, 2020

Fallen Admiration

Herself speaks.

I'm sure it's pretty clear that I'm quite fond of the Harry Potter series. It speaks to me in many ways, and has brought me consolation at times when precious little else could. The Harry Potter universe is one in which the power of love is enough to save us all. It is truly magical.

That being said: author J.K. Rowling has lately shown herself to be extremely... disappointing.

She has come forth recently with some very hurtful statements about transgender people. I won't rehash them here; better writers than I have dissected and responded to all her commentary. All I can do is try to extend the love and sense of belonging to transgender people, that has been denied to them by one of the (formerly) most beloved authors, and hope that they see that the world she created exists separately from her as an individual.  As Daniel Radcliffe, actor who portrayed Harry Potter, has said:

If you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life — then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred.


Believe this, and believe in yourself. You are who you are. We support you, always.


No comments:

Post a Comment