Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Percha Box Redux

Herself speaks.

Facebook flashbacks reminded me that nine years ago today, Beloved Husband, Cherished Friend, and I took a trip to Percha Box. It was an excellent adventure -- a bit of hiking, a cave, some interesting rocks, and not another soul in sight. It doesn't seem that long ago. And yet seems eons ago.

When I think back to that trip, I remember most the stillness and the beauty of the desert. It was so peaceful. All else was put out of mind -- there was nothing but the terrain and the plant life and the silence.

There is one minuscule detail I remember as well.  Beloved Husband had gone ahead and taken a somewhat steep route down into the small ravine, and Cherished Friend and I had opted for a more sloping route down a slightly rocky hill. There was a point when the way was a bit tricky because of loose rocks, and Cherished Friend, who was slightly in front of me, held out a hand toward me. It took me a very long internal moment, staring at his hand, to figure out why he did so. Then I realized that he was providing a stabilizing hand so I could get over the tricky part of the hill. I accepted his help, and then we made our way to the bottom of the hill.

I think back now and wonder why I did not immediately understand that he was literally offering a hand. Perhaps I had been so accustomed to fending for myself for most things, that I did not initially recognize help when it was provided. He had offered so unassumingly, so casually -- no big deal. And yet, somehow, it was important to me. Though not related to me by blood or marriage and thereby obligated somehow -- this person offered help. When had that last happened during my adult life? I could not recall. I realized: I had a friend. Miraculous. 
-----
I reminisce about that moment now, because Cherished Friend's path is in flux at the moment. There will be changes soon, and possibly more changes thereafter. I want so much for his happiness. I hope that the changes will bring him to where he would like to be, doing the things he would like to do.

I am a mere bystander to these changes, and there is naught I can do to clarify the path or force the Universe in a particular direction. I do know, though, that if I can extend to him a helping hand, whether literally or metaphorically, I will be glad to be able to do so. Always, my Friend.

Photo courtesy Beloved Husband, Copyright 2010, 2019.
All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment