Saturday, August 10, 2019

Selfies

Herself speaks.

On my birthday, I posted two pictures of myself to my Facebook page. In the first photo, I sported the pink birthday tiara and fluffy boa that we keep in the office for birthday celebrations. The second photo was a more conventional photograph, head and shoulders, smile. And yes, it took a few attempts before I took pictures that I liked enough to share. But I did it, because I wanted to capture myself as I am, at 52 -- both silly and serious. Myself. 
-----

Selfies: good or bad?

On the one hand, they can be seen as the height of vanity. LOOK HOW WONDERFUL I AM.

On the other hand, when one is an invisible middle-aged woman -- the type of woman who receives no compliments, with whom no one flirts, who merely exists in the background of a world replete with advertisements and television shows populated by airbrushed young and impossibly beautiful girls --  a self-portrait serves a useful purpose: it acknowledges existence. LOOK HOW... I AM. 

I am myself. And in the end, I am enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment