Monday, August 26, 2019

1,050 Miles

Herself speaks.

In past three and a half days, I triangled across the desert southwest. It's a lovely area, with miles and miles of nothing punctuated by tiny towns, fields with a smattering of cows, rolling hills with desert shrubbery, and interesting rock formations.

First leg: north and east to install Offspring the Third into his new apartment for his next school year. My vehicle was packed to the gills with his possessions. After a solid six hour drive and a short night's rest, we unloaded everything and set it up. Dishwasher works? Check. Washing machine works? Check. LED lights installed for decoration; internet set up; groceries purchased. Everything put in its place to enhance the chances he would stay tidy and organized. Fifteen hours later, we were done. Good luck, Offspring the Third. I hope you have a fruitful school year. We love you.

Second leg: once more a short night's rest, and then a five hour journey north and west to Cherished Friend's corner of the desert. It had been far too long since I'd made the trip there. (I have been a mediocre friend of late, I think, because Life has been eating me alive. Forgive me, my Friend. Know that you are never less cherished even when I am less attentive a friend.) It was a much-needed respite from the hectic pace of this summer.

And the third leg the next afternoon: nearly due south for four and a half hours, and finally home again. Phew.

I am tired. The air conditioning broke while I was away, so it was a restless and hot night on the couch in the living room after all the travel. Still, the small dogs were delighted to have the opportunity to sleep next to me. So there was that.

And now, back to ordinary life.

Image may contain: text
Go 305 miles, and turn right. 
This is driving in the desert southwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment