Thursday, December 21, 2017

Stable

Herself speaks.

I don't always answer the phone if I do not recognize the caller ID number, but did today, because I was expecting to hear from the doctor about the results of the repeat mammogram and ultrasound performed on Monday. It was indeed the doctor's office. All appears stable. The tests will need to be repeated in another six months, but for now, all is considered to be fine.

Hallelujah.

I hung up the phone, and contemplated the call just briefly. There was, momentarily, a catch in the back of my throat; I hadn't realized how worried I had been about the results. Perhaps it was the long wait in the mammogram room -- "I'm going to just check with the radiologist and see whether we need any more films" -- or perhaps it was the time-consuming and distinctly uncomfortable ultrasound -- "I'm going to have to dig in here to make sure there's nothing unusual" -- that fed into my quickly-suppressed concerns. Or perhaps it was just a visceral fear.

At any rate: safe, for now.

I hope the next six-month marker is equally uneventful.

Please. 


1 comment: