Sunday, January 5, 2014

Forgotten and Remembered

Herself speaks.

It is harder to write about Daisy than it was to write about Thorbert. It is difficult, with Offspring and Beloved Husband experiencing their own bereavement in such close proximity, to give full rein to my own mourning.  My grief needs to gallop in the open, to trip over the rocks and be scratched by thorns -- to run and run and run until it is soothed by sweat and blood and tears.  Then peace and a quiet emptiness can descend and fill the void.  Such naked emotion, though, is not for the Offspring (or even for Beloved Husband) to witness.  Some sorrow must be experienced alone.

When we returned from the veterinarian's office yesterday, Beloved Husband spent some time sorting through old pictures from when Daisy was a pup.  A mere thirteen years ago - and yet an eternity.  I had forgotten how young the Offspring were, how young Beloved Husband was, and (I suppose) how young I was as well.  The loss of Daisy is the loss of a string connecting us to those times.  The thread is broken, the Offspring are nearly grown and beginning to disperse into their own lives, and we are left afloat, unanchored.

Sad.

Tender-hearted Offspring the Third offered his own words on his Facebook page in honor of Daisy.  I present them here for you. I cannot bear to write such words of my own yet, but perhaps I need not at this time, for his are just right.

This is Daisy. For 13 years, she has barked at people, stolen food off the table, knocked stuff over with her tail, snapped at everyone, defended the house, carried dog toys around when she was in trouble, and was a general nuisance for herentire lifetime. Today, she can do all that stuff in the dog park in the sky. Rest in peace, Daisy. We will always miss you and no dog could ever take your place. I will miss all those times when I cried into your shoulder after something bad happened, I will miss falling asleep on your tummy, I will miss you being excited when I came home from school every single day, no matter what. Godspeed, and never forget us.

Daisy and Offspring The Third, both as pups

No comments:

Post a Comment