Thursday, January 2, 2014

Do You Hear What I Hear?

We have a prescription for strong pain medication for Ancient And Decrepit Dog. It's a matter of days or weeks now, depending on how much relief she gets from the new drugs.  We shall see how it goes.

Last night, and periodically during the day today, she has looked up, expectant.  She appears to be listening.  Since she's almost completely deaf, it's unlikely she actually hears anything.

Or does she?

For reasons unknown, I have the odd impression that she is listening for ottoman-shaped dog.  She always paid attention when he barked, and it was only after he was gone that we realized how little she could hear by herself. He did pave the way over The Bridge for her - perhaps he's giving her guidance now.  I am sure she would be happy to see him.

It seems silly to write it out.  And I'm not sure it's comforting to me, since it reminds me afresh of our loss of ottoman-shaped dog.  Still, if there is any solace to be gained, it is in knowing that there's that chance, however infinitesimal, that it might, in fact, be true.

I want to believe.  My faith is absent.  Yet perhaps Daisy's is strong, and she understands that she will be with Thorbert again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment