Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Eldest Elder

Herself speaks.

The eldest Elder in my family tree -- my father's 97-year-old brother, Uncle S. -- passed away earlier this week.

Uncle S. was a dignified, kindly, and soft-spoken man, the sort of pure soul who doted on his wife and asked interesting questions of all the youngsters. He was quiet and patient and sweet. I have a photograph of him in his finery, serving as an usher at my wedding, with a shy smile on his face. He has always reminded me very much of my own Daddy. 

I haven't seen him for many years, but I have always thought of him whenever I use the cookbook that he and his wife, Aunt M., gave me as a wedding present many, many years ago. It's a good cookbook, wholesome and uncomplicated and comforting, just like Uncle S. and Aunt M. 

Godspeed to you, Uncle S. You were a good man, and had a full life, and were much loved. Rest in peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment