Friday, December 31, 2021

End of Year Games

 Herself speaks.

Games I do not enjoy, but am playing right now:

"is it allergies, or is it COVID?

Argh.

-----

To protect the privacy of others, I'll be just a bit vague: one close contact of mine has tested positive for COVID; another, spent a fair amount of time unmasked in a room with someone who also has COVID. And because of the State of Things, there are no COVID tests to be found. And so we wait, and wear masks in the house, generally avoiding close contact with each other, and wondering if we will become ill and if so, when. Is that tiny itch in an ear just allergies, or is it COVID? Is a throat sore, and if so, was it from chewing all that gum, or is it COVID? What level of exposure did I really have? How long until I feel safe again? 

I am exhausted, and trying not to be angry. I have tried SO HARD for two years -- social distancing, wearing a mask everywhere, avoiding going into stores, not traveling except to see my frail and elderly parents in case something Unspeakable happens to them, staying away from gatherings of people as much as possible -- and right now it feels like all my efforts may have been fruitless, because I still interact with a few people, and those people are more comfortable with a higher level of Risk of Exposure than I am. And they will bring the Plague to me. 

I do not enjoy having so little control over my own COVID Fate. 

In this metaphorical apocalypse, I have noticed the metaphorical zombies and done my best to avoid them. Yet somehow, they will still end up at my doorstep. What else can I do, besides fight them when they arrive?

-----

At any rate, this very long year has come to an end. It was busy, and exhausting, and had quite a bit of loss in it, and I am ready for it to be over. 

I wish for all of us, a good new year, full of hope and health, comfort and peace.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment