Wednesday, January 8, 2020

One Tin Soldier

As I sit, afraid of the Breaking News announcements, researching at their behest what it means for the Offspring if the draft is reinstated, wondering what will happen to American troops and contractors in the Middle East, I am well aware that do not understand the full situation. There is no way for me to do so -- it is Too Big for one human mind. All I can see is anger and fear, and the shadow of death and destruction over all. It is hard not to despair. 

I am reminded of a song I first learned eons ago in summer camp: One Tin Soldier.  While I do not know its significance during the time when it was first written, I can fully see its meaning now. 

Now the valley cried with anger
Mount your horses, draw your swords
And they killed the mountain people
So they won their just reward

Now they stood beside the treasure
On the mountain darkened red
Turned the stone and looked beneath it --
Peace on Earth, was all it said.




No comments:

Post a Comment