Monday, March 11, 2019

Missed

Yesterday, I ran a couple of errands with Offspring the Third. I had forgotten how his company on errands is enjoyable. We had run errands together over his winter break -- why did that seem so long ago?

And later, while I was working in the kitchen, my phone rang. It was Cherished Friend, who apparently had dialed by accident. We spoke briefly, and I wondered: when was the last time I had heard his voice? It was not that long ago, I know, and yet it seemed ages.

And in the evening, when all three Offspring and Beloved Husband were laughing and joking together, I thought about the last time they were all in the same room -- was it Christmas?

Ordinary life gets in the way of these relaxed moments together.

It is these occasions that remind me of the self-protective mechanisms I have put in place over time: life is easier if I do not think about how much I enjoy their company -- because then I miss them less during their absences. My heart can only bear so much.

There is never enough time with these, my People.

Bless them. I wish All Good Things for them, always.


No comments:

Post a Comment