Tuesday, January 29, 2019

What If

Herself speaks.

One of my Facebook friends posted this article from the Washington Post today: "Lifestyle guru B. Smith has Alzheimer's. Her Husband has a girlfriend. Her fans aren't having it."

I did not read the whole article and thus can't comment on that particular situation. If we put the heartbreak (and the economics) of the situation aside, it's an interesting philosophical exercise, to contemplate what one would want in such a difficult situation.

I will say: I have, on multiple occasions, told my friends and colleagues to please find my husband a new wife if I die. By extension, with all things considered, if I were afflicted with a memory-devastating disease like Alzheimer's, I would also want my husband to have the companionship that I would no longer be able to provide. I have faith that he would ensure that my medical and emotional needs, whatever they might be in such a situation, would be met; and I would want him to have the support he would need.

Is that idealistic? Perhaps. I have the luxury of hoping I could be magnanimous in this way. I do hope, though, that it never comes to that. 

Aging: not for the faint of heart.

Picture copyright 2019, Mediocria Firma. All rights reserved. 
Used with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment