Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Presents

'Tis the season of gift-giving. The most time-consuming part is the contemplation about what a person might like. Do they have hobbies? What would be useful for them? What would be something they'd enjoy, but would never purchase for themselves?  What do they like to wear? To read? To eat?  It all warrants careful thought.

I'm on track to be timely this year; I've nearly completed the acquisition of Things I Hope Other People Will Like. I look forward to wrapping and delivering the items that have not yet been distributed. I enjoy giving gifts, very much.

I confess to being a little weird about receiving gifts. I don't like to open them right away; rather, I like to hold on to them for a while first. In this world when it's very easy to feel taken for granted, a gift is an invaluable, tangible sign that I am sufficiently important to warrant a moment of consideration. And that is a tremendous comfort to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment