Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Tiny Broken Heart

Herself speaks.

"I'm concerned," said the vet.

And in those quiet, kindly spoken, carefully chosen words, I knew all that I needed to know.
-----

Tiny Dog has dilated cardiomyopathy. It appears to be advancing quickly, given the rapid increase of her heart murmur. She has a new drug regimen which will hopefully buy us some time. The vet indicated that it is possible she will enter heart failure within a few months, and with the addition of further medications, may yet live a bit longer - perhaps a year. So we have a year, perhaps two if we are very lucky, left with Tiny Dog.

My own heart might be a bit broken. Broken for my Tiny Dog, and for Beloved Husband and the Offspring, who love this Tiny Dog. I cannot imagine that day when I must tell them that Tiny Dog's tiny life is folding to a close. (Or, perhaps, I can imagine far too well, but the anticipatory grief is too much yet to bear.)

I know that medical predictions can be an inexact science. She could, after all, defy odds and live a long, happy life yet. Nevertheless, I prepare myself for the careful, watchful waiting -- as I once did with my beloved ottoman-shaped dog -- and will be mindful of our time with her, knowing that our time is short.

Good girl, Tiny Dog.

Image may contain: dog

2 comments:

  1. This is so hard... sometimes it is better not to know, on the other hand, you can cherish each day more now... wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete