Saturday, July 25, 2015

King of the Salmon

I am reading a book of Irish fairy tales (author, James Stephens).  The first tale is the story of Tuan Mac Cairill; it is laden with beautiful imagery. So very poetic. 

I became the king of the salmon, and, with my multitudes, I ranged on the tides of the world. Green and purple distances were under me: green and gold the sunlit regions above.  In these latitudes I moved through a world of amber, myself amber and gold; in those others, in a sparkle of lucent blue, I curved, lit like a living jewel: and in these again, through dusks of ebony all mazed with silver, I shot and shone, the wonder of the sea.... I swam on the outermost rim of the great world, where nothing was but the sea and the sky and the salmon; where even the wind was silent, and the water was clear as clean grey rock. 

 Ah. I would like to see the ocean. It has been far too long.

Picture copyright 2014, 2015, Mediocria Firma. Used with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment