Sunday, June 17, 2012

Beast

This is the price paid
For my father's salvation -
My own sacrifice.

Fearful, curious
I go of my own free will,
Far from all I know.

Mysterious life -
I inhabit the castle,
Strange and enchanted.

All my needs met by
Unseen diligent servants,
I know only him.

Fearsome, barbarous,
Yet surprisingly gentle,
Beastly companion.

He, I, together
Weave lengthy conversations
Far into the night

Communion of words
Bring insight, understanding
Our souls intertwine.

A visit back home -
Sisters denounce him, scorn him
Scheming, delaying.

Magic looking glass -
Forlorn among the roses
His heartbreak, revealed

Turn the ring three times
I must hurry back to him
Wait for me, my Love

My tears in his fur
A life spared, a curse broken
Metamorphosis

Behold the changeling
Handsome prince, glorious man
Sisters fawn on him.

Parties, balls, dinners,
Host and lord of the castle,
Dominating all.

Vain and decadent
Licentious, haughty, careless
Social butterfly

Inane palaver,
Inconsequential parley,
He speaks not with me.

Riches, looks are naught
They feed not my starving soul
I yearn for his voice

My tears run anew
Lonely in the high tower,
Lost in the quiet

Under soundless stars
I despair, I howl, I beg,
Bring me back my Beast!

His silence slays me.
He has forgotten my heart
Was won with his words.

Illustration by Mercer Mayer
from Beauty And The Beast by Marianna Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment