Sunday, July 11, 2010

Filling the Void

I have noticed that when Herself is lonely, she visits her piano more often. The piano has gotten quite a bit of use lately; in fact, Herself has gotten out some additional music and is learning to play some new pieces (or relearning some old pieces that she has not played for more than twenty years). The music pleases her, and the challenge of a complicated work keeps her mind occupied for a little while.

Some days, time crawls. Yesterday afternoon, she played the piano, and then she sighed, and checked her FaceBook, and read her book, and tidied the house, and fed the children, and went for a walk, then sighed and played the piano again. The piano occupied just enough space to keep Herself from dwelling on her loneliness. I hope that it will do the same today.

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
- Maya Angelou



No comments:

Post a Comment