Monday, July 13, 2015

Sweeping Out The Inside

I've  been doing some mental housekeeping. Out with the old, in with the new. It is good.

I'm inherently somewhat suspicious of self-help books; there are so many of them, and they are so often touted as being life-changing, spectacular, this-is-the-answer-you've-been-searching-for-all-your-life manuals for perpetual happiness. Life is a wee bit more complicated than that. Still, occasionally there is some helpful information to be had. This weekend, I read a book that has been useful. It's not terribly complex, nor is it all-problem-solving. All the same, it validates a few things. And that is good.

Sometimes, we really need another's voice to say, it is OK to feel the way you do.

[T]he only way I knew to get what I wanted was to give up what I wanted and hope that someone else would give it to me.  And what I wanted was to know, with a conviction as unshakable as Sally's redwood tree with the trunk that is twelve feet around, with the leaves that cut clouds in two -- what I wanted was to know once and for all that yes... you have a right to need, to want, to ask, to have.  You can bloom now. 
- Geneen Roth


No comments:

Post a Comment