Monday, June 15, 2015

When I Grow Up

Herself speaks. 

Although I don't speak much about my extended family -- to protect their privacy -- I would like to tell you this story about an exchange I had by text with my mother-in-law today.  MIL is a lovely woman: sweet, earnest, down-to-earth, caring.  She is the very embodiment of kindness.  She also, without a doubt, has a personal pipeline to God. I, who have little conviction in anything in particular, admire enormously the quiet strength of MIL's faith.

I had a favor to ask of her -- I wanted to ask her to intercede on behalf of someone I know. I briefly explained the situation to her, and then requested:

If you could say a small prayer... that things will work out well, I'd be really grateful.

MIL promptly responded:

Oh, mija, of course. I will pray with all my heart.

We bantered back and forth a bit more, and then we had the following exchange:

You're the best, Buela!

No, mija, YOU are.

I must've learned from you then.

You were so young when you started learning. I'm so proud of you.  You've done everything so well.

-----

For that moment, the tiny voice of self-doubt that whispers, whispers in my ear was silenced. And I am ever so grateful for the quiet. 

Thank you, Buela. When I grow up, I want to be as lovely a soul as you are. 

And God bless you. 

You know -- I think He already has. 


No comments:

Post a Comment